The securities finance industry gathered in London on September 19 to celebrate the winners of Global Investor’s International Securities Finance Awards 2019.
The awards dinner, kindly sponsored by EquiLend, took place at the Royal Horseguards Hotel in Whitehall. View photos from the event here.
The awards are based on the results of the annual International Securities Finance (ISF) Survey, which monitors how the world’s top securities lenders and borrowers rate each other across different asset classes, regions and functions. The main body of the study covers equities lending and borrowing, breaking the constituent companies down into two groups, with group one (G1) comprising the 15 largest players and group two (G2) representing mid-tier financing firms. The survey also covers fixed income lending, as well as technology vendors and data firms.
BNY Mellon took the top spot in the group one equity lenders table this year, as well as in the fixed income lending rankings. Candriam came out on top among group two equity lenders, climbing up four places over 2018 in the global weighted and unweighted tables.
2019 has seen UBS take the lead in the global group one borrowers table. Scotiabank retained first place in the unweighted global table for group two borrowers, while Natixis moved to the top of the weighted table.
The full results are detailed in the ISF Securities Finance Survey 2019, available to download here.
In addition to the survey-based awards, each year the ISF Securities Finance Awards recognises an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the industry with the Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2019, this accolade was awarded to Roy Zimmerhansl.
Now practice lead at Pierpoint Financial Consulting, Zimmerhansl has long-standing expertise in securities finance and collateral management as well as a custody and clearing background. From 2013-2018 he was global head of securities lending at HSBC Securities Services, and he has also held positions at Nomura, Rabobank, Deutsche Bank, and ICAP. He has been vice-chair of the International Securities Lending Association (ISLA), a director of the Pan Asia Securities Lending Association (PASLA), and a member of the Bank of England's Securities Lending and Repo Committee.
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Roy Zimmerhansl
- Most innovative G1 lender and G1 lender global group winner: BNY Mellon
- G2 lender global group winner: Candriam
- Most innovative G2 lender: BNP Paribas Securities Service Principal Lending
- Most improved G2 lender: BMO Global Asset Management
- One to watch lender: CACEIS
- G1 borrower global group winner: UBS
- Most innovative G1 borrower: Morgan Stanley
- G2 borrower global group winner, unweighted: Scotiabank
- Most innovative G2 borrower and G2 borrower global group winner, weighted: Natixis
- Most improved G2 borrower: Nomura
- One to watch borrower: BCS
- Fixed income lending global group winner: BNY Mellon
- Post-trade services global group winner: Pirum Systems
- Securities finance trading platform global group winner: EquiLend/BondLend
- Emea securities finance trading platform winner (out of three vendors): IHS Markit Securities Finance
- Data vendor global group winner: DataLend